Only 2 owners in 29 years
The landmark DB2, considered the first “true” postwar Aston Martin, was introduced in May 1950. The ultimate and most highly refined variant, the DB Mark III, debuted in March 1957 and was produced through July 1959, when the DB4 ultimately succeeded it.
Only 551 DB Mark IIIs were produced, including one purpose-built competition model, with 462 Coupes and 84 Drophead Coupes built. By virtue of their Feltham-era, hand-built quality and legendary capabilities, each surviving example remains highly coveted today.
Chassis 1781 rolled off the Feltham production line in late 1958, subsequently being sold in February 1959 by Brooklands Motors, to its first owner in West Sussex. From new it was fitted with the upgraded twin exhaust system, which brought power up to a healthy 178bhp.
From the mid-1970s to 1984 the car resided in Liverpool with a Mr. Monaghan, where the bodywork was refurbished and the interior re-trimmed, after which ownership moved to a Mr. Hughes of Ormskirk in Lancashire. Mr. Hughes continued with the program of refurbishment (supported by further bills for body, trim and engine work), but decided in 1986 to pass the Aston on to Mr. Troughton in Lincolnshire.
Mr. Troughton was fastidious; he spent the next 5 years extensively restoring his beloved Mark III, returning it to concourse condition. The body was again stripped and refurbished by Four Ashes Garage (noted Feltham restorers) and the interior was completely re-trimmed. The original twin exhaust manifolds were past their best, so were upgraded to stainless items. This work is supported by various bills and invoices in the history file. During his ownership Mr. Troughton moved to the Isle of Man, taking his beloved car with him, where he enjoyed driving around the island until the 2000, whereupon chassis 1781 came into the custody of the current owner.
The current owner of 15 years is a former senior executive in the British motor industry, also a very experienced classic and vintage car enthusiast. He has genuinely cosseted this lovely Aston, maintaining it meticulously and driving it carefully whilst in his ownership. In this time chassis 1781 was returned to Four Ashes garage for a complete rear suspension rebuild, which included the fitting of many new components, also new springs all round. The details of the work together with a CD are included in the history file.
Finished in bright red with contrasting light grey leather, and described as being in good condition, chassis 1781 is supplied with a thick history file, UK V5 document and current UK MoT certificate.
|Auction||The Spirit of Motoring, Ascot October 2015|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||9021 BP|
|Model||DB2/4 Mark III|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.