Although Ferdinand Porsche had established his automotive design consultancy in the early 1930s, his name would not appear on a car until 1949. When it did, it graced one of the all-time great sports cars: the Porsche 356. Having commenced manufacture with a short run of aluminium-bodied cars built at Gmünd, Porsche began volume production of the steel-bodied 356 coupé at its old base in Stuttgart, at first in premises shared with coachbuilders Reutter and then (from 1955) in its original factory at Zuffenhausen.
The work of Ferry Porsche, the 356 was based on the Volkswagen designed by his father, and like the immortal ‘Beetle’ employed a platform-type chassis with rear-mounted air-cooled engine and all-independent torsion bar suspension. Regularly revised and updated, Porsche’s landmark sports car would remain in production well into the 911 era, the final examples being built in 1965. Cabriolets had been manufactured right from the start of 356 production, but the first open Porsche to make a significant impact was the Speedster, introduced in 1954 following the successful reception in the USA of a batch of 15 special roadsters. The Speedster was dropped in 1958 and replaced by the more civilised Convertible D, which differed principally by virtue of its larger windscreen and winding side windows. Porsche sub-contracted cabriolet body construction to a number of different coachbuilders including Drauz of Heilbronn, d’Ieteren of Brussels and, of course, Reutter. By the time the 356B arrived in September 1959, the car had gained a one-piece rounded windscreen and 15”-diameter wheels, and the newcomer’s introduction brought with it further styling revisions and an engine now standardised at 1,600cc.
This wonderful matching numbers example is finished in its original colour combination of Red over Beige Leather and left the factory on the 06th June 1958. Remaining in the warm and sunny climate of Arizona it was repatriated back to European shores in 2012. During 2013 it was subject to a mechanically restoration which still remains in very good order. Complete with Porsche Certificate of Authenticity and its French Carte Grise papers. With its unusual but strikingly handsome beige interior and matching soft-top, this beautiful Porsche makes a lasting impression and should provide the fortunate new owner with plenty of immensely enjoyable wind-in-the-hair motoring next summer.
Ce magnifique modèle aux couleurs assorties : Rouge sur cuir Beige a quitté l’usine le 6 Juin 1958 .Il est resté un temps à la chaleur et au climat ensoleillé de l’Arizona avant d’être rapatrié en Europe en 2012.En 2013 il a subit une restoration mécanique et est encore en très bon état.Il est accompagné du certificat d’authenticité Porsche et de sa carte grise Française.Avec son intérieur beige, inhabituel mais très beau et sa capote souple assortie, cette magnifique Porsche fait beaucoup d’effet et procurera à son chanceux nouveau propriétaire l’immense plaisir de conduire cheveux au vent l’été prochain.
|Auction||2016 mondial de l'automobile paris|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||French Registered|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.