It’s widely believed that the Fiat 500 was Fiat’s first rear-engined post-war people’s car, but it was, in fact, predated by the 600, or Seicento. Produced from 1955 to 1969, it measured only 321cm in length but could still accommodate four people and their luggage. It was such a success in post-war Italy that some 2.6 million were built at Fiat’s Mirafiori plant. The 600’s popularity was not, however, confined to Italy alone, as a wide range of countries, from Russia to Argentina, built the car under licence. Power came from a water-cooled 4-cylinder motor which could propel the little Fiat to 59mph with the 633cc engine, or to 68mph with the later 767cc variant.
A year after the 600’s debut, the Multipla was introduced, and this was based on the same mechanical components, but with the front suspension from the bigger Fiat 1100. The Multipla was nothing less than the first people carrier or MPV, and it could seat six despite being only 50cm longer than the Austin/Morris Mini! Not surprisingly the Multipla was widely used as a taxi in its native Italy.
The Multipla offered here was owned by a Fiat-Abarth dealer who used it for marketing and promotional purposes. Its engine has been uprated with the Abarth kit available at the time, this consisting of a special exhaust, an Abarth dashboard, increased oil sump capacity and sporty cams. It is also fitted with Fiat 124 Abarth wheels.
This very special Multipla has been recently restored and photographs documenting the restoration can be seen in the car’s file.
Der hier angebotene Multipla war im Besitz eines Fiat-Abarth-Händlers, der ihn für Marketing- und Werbezwecke nutzte. Sein Motor ist mit einem Aufrüstungssatz von Abarth aufgewertet worden, genauso ein Auspuff, Armaturenbrett, Ölwanne und sportliche Nocken. Es ist auch mit Fiat 124 Abarth Rädern ausgerüstet.
Dieser ganz besondere Multipla ist kürzlich erst restauriert worden, dessen Fotodokumentation in der Autoakte eingesehen werden kann.