Generally rated as being the most outstanding of the many British sportscars of the immediate post-war era were the trio of XK Jaguars from the William Lyons stable, each one a milestone motor car. The XK140 replacing 150 was equally well received as the two previous XK models when it started coming off the Coventry production line in 1957. Although instantly recognisable as a direct descendant of the XK120, the 150 appeared to be very much wider and roomier than previous XK models and was certainly far more refined to drive and comfortable on the road.
The most significant changes to the factory specification on a 150 were the brakes with Jaguar Le Mans developed Dunlop discs fitted all round and the previously special order SE version of the 3442cc six, producing 210bhp, becoming the standard-fit power unit. Available in roadster, drophead or fixed head coupe form, a total of just 9395 150s were produced between 1957 and the spring of 1961, when the far more volume-made E Type replacement hit the freeways of the world.
This fabulous matching numbers drophead coupe example has been restored to excellent condition throughout, with over 2500 hours of labour put into the project. It is presented in the striking and rare original colour combination of Cornish Grey with red leather interior and black hood. The engine and gearbox have also been totally rebuilt. It was delivered new on May 29th1959 to Oakley Land Development in Toronto, Canada and then sold on to a prominent lawyer in Toronto in 1995.
The Jaguar was then imported from Canada in 2013 and then underwent its total restoration with no expense spared, which concluded May 1st 2016. It also comes with a Jaguar Heritage Certificate and as 106 of these examples were ever made with only 66 in LHD, this makes it an extremely rare British sports car indeed. This must be one of the finest examples on the market today.