As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-litre engine and 4-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140’s divided screen. Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4”-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model’s main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed.
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead coupe forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 210bhp, the standard 3.4-litre engine’s maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140, so performance was little changed. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Power-Lok limited-slip differential was available for the XK150 S.
This beautiful XK150 Fixed Head Coupe was delivered new in 1959 to Special Equipment specification. By the 1960’s the XK had found its way to Denmark and into the custodianship of a wealthy landowner from the Danish region of Zealand, who owned the XK for a number of years until ownership passed due to the sale of the estate in the mid 1990’s. The next owner, a Jaguar enthusiast, commenced extensive restoration, which was completed in 2015 by specialists under the watchful eye of the current vendor. The XK benefits from a fully rebuilt engine mated to a 5-speed gearbox (a useful upgrade), and is fitted with a very nice set of 15” chrome wire wheels on each corner.
Supplied with extensive history for works completed, and finished in a very stylish combination of Royal Blue with a re-trimmed Biscuit leather interior, this is an incredibly competent and enjoyable 1950’s GT which has been finished to a high standard.
|Auction||Berlin October 2017|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||EU Registered|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.