For the debut of its new MGA in 1955, MG wisely chose that year’s Le Mans 24 Hour race; after a succession of open-wheeled models there were fears of an adverse reaction to such a streamlined car, and it was felt that by showing the MGA in competition first, the aerodynamic shape would be accepted as a performance essential. The competition successes of the ZA Magnette had already proved the potential of its new 1,498cc four cylinder engine, and this was chosen for the new MGA. With 68bhp at 5,550rpm – soon raised to 72bhp – the MGA was capable of 0-60mph in 15 seconds and 97mph while the predictable handling, via independent coil spring front suspension and live leaf-sprung rear axle, was almost fool proof. The car was an instant success, and in 1956 the roadster was joined by a fixed head coupé. The high performance MGA model, the Twin Cam, was launched in 1958. With aluminium crossflow cylinder head, larger SU carburettors and 1,588cc capacity, power rose to 108bhp at 6,700rpm, as did top speed to 115mph with 0-60mph reduced to an impressive 9.1 seconds. It had all round Dunlop disc brakes and centre-lock disc wheels. Production ceased in April 1960 with just 2,111 examples made.
This superb LHD MG A had been exported to the US and comes with a British Motor Heritage certificate and customs papers for free circulation in the EU. It is finished in its original colours, gleaming black with red leather interior and wire wheels and is described as being in excellent condition, having undergone an extensive ground-up restoration.
This MG A is sure to delight any lucky owner over the coming summer months, and as such is an opportunity not to be missed.