For the debut of its new MGA in 1955, MG wisely chose that year’s Le Mans 24 Hour race. After a succession of open-wheeled models there were fears of an adverse reaction to such a streamlined car, and it was felt that by showing the MGA in competition first the aerodynamic shape would be accepted as a performance essential. There had been some delays however in getting the go-ahead for production, MG owner initially BMC declining, having already agreed with Donald Healey to build the Austin Healey 100. It was the success of a highly streamlined MGA prototype, which took several records up to 153mph, which finally persuaded BMC to relent.
The car was an instant success and in 1956 the roadster was joined by a fixed head coupé. The high performance MGA model, the Twin Cam, was launched in 1958. Four-wheel disc brakes by Dunlop were fitted, along with Dunlop peg drive knock-off steel wheels similar to those used on racing Jaguars, unique to the Twin-Cam and “DeLuxe” MGA 1600 and 1600 MkII roadsters. These wheels and chassis upgrades were used on a small number of the “DeLuxe” models built after Twin-Cam production came to a halt.
This lovely right hand drive Twin Cam coupe is one of 301 RHD and 138 in Coupe form, and is presented with rare Mineral Blue paintwork. The car is accompanied by a comprehensive history file including the original buff log book, history from the Twin Cam Register, old MOTs and Tax discs. It benefitted from a chassis/body off restoration some 10-15 years ago prior to purchase by the present owner 4 years ago. A comprehensive recommission of the car was undertaken which has included new suspension front and rear, refurbished brakes, professionally rebuilt carburettors and newly trimmed Deluxe seats and respray. The engine was rebuilt during the last restoration, maintains good oil pressure and runs at a good temperature. These rare Twin Cams are appreciating in value and – as well as being a great addition to a classic car collection – are great fun to drive.