Having started motorcycle production in late 1945 with a 98cc two-stroke, Count Agusta’s Meccanica Verghera (MV) introduced its first production four-stroke road bikes, a pair of 175 models, at the 1952 Milan Show. The 235 Tevere was unveiled in 1959 with motor based on the popular 175 AB engine, although the 235 Tevere was enlarged to 232cc to appeal to buyers wanting more power than the 175 could deliver. The 235’s 4-stroke OHV pushrod engine used the same stroke as the smaller powerplant, but the bore was increased. With 13hp the 235 had a top speed of 68mph. Visually the 175 AB and the Tevere are very similar, although the Tevere has a box that concealing the battery and air filter, and an upper engine breather pipe. One thousand Teveres were built over a two year period but, unfortunately for MV, the 235 formula didn’t work as buyers looking to step up from a 175 didn’t want a bike that looked much like the one they already owned. Instead, many opted for the 250cc Raid.
The machine here was completely restored during the latter part of 2013 and it’s classed as being in very good condition by the MV Register. With a less than stellar sales performance, the 235 Tevere is therefore a rare and collectable machine.