Having started motorcycle production in late 1945 with a 98cc two-stroke, Count Agusta’s Meccanica Verghera (MV) introduced its first production four-stroke road bikes, a pair of 175 models, at the 1952 Milan Show.
The 235 Tevere was unveiled in 1959 with a motor based on MV’s existing 175cc AB engine, although the 120kg 235 Tevere had been enlarged to 232cc to appeal to buyers wanting more punch than the 175 delivered. The 235’s 4-stroke OHV pushrod engine used the same stroke as the smaller powerplant, but the bore was increased, and with 13hp the 235 had a top speed of 68mph. The 175 AB and 235 Tevere are visually very similar, although the Tevere has a concealed battery and air filter along with an upper engine breather pipe.
One thousand Teveres were built over a two year period but it wasn’t a great success as many buyers opted instead for MV’s bigger 250cc Raid.
Italian motorcycle expert Mick Walker reckoned that the Tevere was the most attractive MV of its era, and few would disagree. This example is only partially restored because it has been well preserved over the years and didn’t require a complete restoration. With a less than stellar sales performance back in the day, the 235 Tevere is therefore a rare and collectable machine.