Founded in 1899 by Eduardo Bianchi, the Bianchi Company made vehicles for 56 years. These included full-size cars, tanks, and trucks with Mercedes engines. But the factory was destroyed during the war and he had been unable to recover. In 1955, Milanese industrialist Ferrucio Quintavalle organised a new company involving Bianchi, Fiat, and the Pirelli Tire Company, called Autobianchi SpA. Trucks would continue to be manufactured by the firm, and motorcycles would be manufactured by Eduardo Bianchi SpA.
Two years later, at the Milan show, the first car to carry the name Autobianchi arrived. The Bianchina Transformabile (Convertible) was one of the first adaptations of the 500 Nuova, using its chassis, engine, and transmission, but with a very attractively styled coupe body with a roll-back roof, reminiscent of the French Vespa 400.
In 1958, it was given a stronger engine and became available as a sedan, coupe, convertible, and station wagon. During this year, Giuseppe Bianchi, Eduardo’s son, sold the family holdings in Autobianchi to Fiat, and in 1963, Fiat gained full control. In 1960, just over 30,000 of these cars were built.
This lovely 1960 Bianchina Trasformabile, presented in a desirable two-tone colour combination of Ivory with an Ebony roof, has just come from an Italian collector, and is now ready to be enjoyed by its next owner. A fun to drive car that’s also becoming really quite collectible.