What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguar’s fabulous ‘XK’ series of sports cars arrived in 1957. As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-litre engine and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the divided screen. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model’s main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed.
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead, ‘2+2’ coupé forms, the open two-seater version not appearing until the following year. Disc brakes apart, the chassis remained much as before, as did the 3.4-litre, XK, six-cylinder engine that produced 190bhp as ‘standard’ or 210bhp in ‘Special Equipment’ form when fitted with the ‘B’-type cylinder head. The four-speed Moss gearbox continued while overdrive and automatic transmission were options. ‘The Jaguar XK150 is undeniably one of the world’s fastest and safest cars. It is quiet and exceptionally refined mechanically, docile and comfortable… we do not know of any more outstanding example of value for money,’ concluded The Autocar.
This Jaguar XK150 Coupè was sold new in Italy. It is a manual car with overdrive. Finished in blue, it has matching numbers and is described by the vendor as being in original condition. It is offered with its ASI Certification Gold Plate. A classic Jaguar in left hand drive that is ready to be enjoyed on the continent.