Stylistically evocative of the mighty 300SL, but with a slightly less complex drive train, the 190SL remains among the most desirable roadsters of its era. The prototype was first shown at the 1954 New York Auto Show, with the 190SL produced between May 1955 and February 1963.
The 190SL was sold alongside the 300SL, similar not just in terms of styling, engineering and detailing, but also sharing fully independent suspension, double wishbone suspension at the front and swing axles at the rear.
The 190 SL was powered by a new, slightly over square 1.9 litre straight-four SOHC engine that developed 120hp with twin-choke dual Solex carburettors, the four-cylinder engine block was based on the six-cylinder engine of the 300 SL. Teamed with a four-speed manual gearbox, sleek aerodynamics and comparatively light weight allowed for a top speed of 115mph and a respectable 0-60 time of 13.0 seconds.
Delivered new on the 18th June 1960 this rare right hand drive 190SL is one of an approximate 500 examples made from an overall production run of 25,881.
Finished in ivory with red leather interior, this wonderful example has recently undergone mechanical and cosmetic refurbishment with numerous bills detailing the work completed in its history file. All work has been completed by marque specialists such as Redcastle and includes works such as; new trim, new black convertible top, new tyres and all of its
brightwork re-chromed or replaced.
Still fitted with its period correct solex carburettors and matching numbers engine, this is a truly original example of the rarest specification 190SL’s ever made. Its desirable colour combination making it a true head turner, and not to mention what a great investment opportunity this car represents.
Having recently undergone a service by Redcastle and found in lovely condition throughout, the car represents the style of true Mercedes Benz Sports Car motoring in the 1950’s and offers as much pleasure to drive today as it was when manufactured in 1960. MOT’d until October 2018.