The 2.4 saloon of 1955 – retrospectively known as the Mark 1 – had been a major step for Jaguar, marking as it did the change from a coachbuilt chassis to one of unitary construction. It was a necessary move, however, Jaguar being aware there was a strong market for a more compact saloon than the big Mk IX. Powered by a 2,482cc version of the superb twin cam straight six XK engine, the 2.4 offered luxury, performance and value for money. Using coil spring/wishbone front and semi-elliptic spring rear suspension, it possessed fine road manners and proved a great success, both on and off the track, particularly when it became available with the 3.4 litre engine in February 1957.
It was in October 1959 that the Mk II version appeared, making a good car even better. Similar in appearance but with a much larger glass area, it boasted a wider rear track to improve roadholding together with minor front suspension changes to reduce body roll and all round disc rather than drum brakes. Engine options included the 120bhp 2.4 litre, the 210bhp 3.4 litre and, for the first time the 220bhp 3,781cc unit of the Mk IX.
This fine example was delivered new in left hand drive form to Holland in 1961 with the desirable 3.8 litre engine, which it still retains. It also retains its original Dutch registration – FD 14 58 – so is truly “matching numbers” in every sense of the term. Fitted with the silky smooth automatic transmission and finished in dark green, the car is described by the vendor as being in very good, usable condition and importantly retains its original and delightfully patinated beige leather interior and walnut dash.
Sitting on chrome wire wheels, it is indeed an elegant example of this eminently usable yet highly collectable classic Jaguar design.
|Auction||Techno Classica April 2017|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||Dutch Registered|
|Chassis Number||P 216699BW|
|Model||Mk II 3.8|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.