After WW2 the three surviving Maserati brothers founded Officine Specializzate per la Costruzione Automobili Fratelli Maserati – OSCA for short – to build limited edition competition cars. OSCA was a tiny company, never making more than 30 cars in a single year, all of which were intended for racing.
Its first offering, introduced in 1948, was the MT4 (Maserati Tipo 4), a small siluro powered by a 1,092cc overhead-camshaft engine, which was immediately successful in the hands of Luigi Villoresi. Enlarged in stages up to 1,491cc and given a twin-cam cylinder head, the OSCA engine was later taken up by FIAT, for whom it was ‘productionised’ by ex-Ferrari designer, Aurelio Lampredi.
At the same time as its twin-cam engine was powering FIAT’s range-topping sports cars, OSCA began producing its own GT cars, reversing the policy that had prompted the brothers to leave Maserati. In 1962 the engine was enlarged to 1,568cc for the otherwise virtually identical 1600S model. Power went up to 100bhp and the top speed to 175 km/h.
Combining Pinifarina styling with the Maserati brothers’ twin-cam engine the Fiat 1600S was made in very low numbers in Fiat terms as only 300 were made, about 3000 of the convertible were made so this car is very rare indeed. Combined with the very revvy, twin cam Fiat built OSCA engine it makes for very exciting driving.
The car on offer today is a very original 1600 S and still retains its original paintwork and original interior. According to the vendor it has only seen 36,000 kms during its lifetime, and today is offered in beautiful condition. Complete with Italian ASI gold plate – highlighting that the car has been approved as original and in great condition by the very particular ASI inspectors.