The Lancia Flaminia is a luxury car produced by Italian automaker Lancia from 1957 to 1970. It was Lancia’s flagship model at that time, replacing the Aurelia. It was available throughout its lifetime as saloon, coupé and cabriolet. The Flaminia coupé and convertible were coachbuilt cars with bodies from several prestigious Italian coachbuilders. Four “presidential” stretched limousine Flaminias were produced by Pininfarina for use on state occasions. Carrozzeria Touring designed and built these aluminum bodied two-door versions, which can be easily distinguished by their four-round headlights (rather than two on Pininfarina Flaminias), and a shorter cabin – the wheelbase was decreased significantly for the GT and Convertibile, allowing for only two seats to be mounted. The GT was a coupé, while the Convertibile was obviously a cabriolet version (with optional hardtop). The GTL, introduced in 1962, was a 2+2 version of the GT with a slightly longer wheelbase. The Convertibile was in production until 1964, with 847 made in total (180 with the 2.8), while the GT and GTL lasted until 1965, with 1718 GTs and 300 GTLs made (out of which, 168 GTs and 297 GTLs with the 2.8).
Only 180 Lancia Flaminia convertibles with the 2.8 litre engine were manufactured by the works. So any surviving examples in good condition are extremely rare and sought after. Especially the late 2.8 GT 3C, clothed by Touring in the most beautiful aluminium cabriolet body and an engine output of 140 HP, is the preferred specification for collectors and enthusiasts alike.
This wonderful 2.8 GT was delivered new to Switzerland and retained by its first owner until the late 1980`s. The next owner, a Zürich based dealer started a restoration, but never finished it and the car was stored until 2000, when the now vendor/collector bought it and imported it into Germany. He is only the 2nd registered owner since the car was manufactured over 50 years ago.
He started a photographic documented restoration and in 2008 the car was eventually registered with historic number plates in Germany. Since then he used the car sparingly in the summer months only. The usual maintenance and services were always made to ensure trouble free travelling. In 2000 the car received a re-spray in its original silver livery and new carpets were supplied. Also, importantly is that an original unrestored works hard top comes with the car as well as all various invoices, a reprint of a handbook in German and a folder with road tests of the Flaminia and further printed material etc.