The first generation of Volkswagen buses were built from 1949 to 1967 and are known as split-window buses or ‘splitties’. The splitties sported a split windscreen along with a sweeping v-line front and a large VW emblem. These buses were 170 cubic feet (about 4.8 cubic meters) in volume and were considered spacious. Splitties came in many guises; barn door, panel, kombi, standard, deluxe, ambulance, single and double cab, walk-through, double door, semaphore and safari are just a few. The Microbus was introduced in 1950. This had nicer upholstery, two-tone paint, engine adjustments and the shape of the front bumper changed. The big cast aluminium ‘VW’ logo appeared on the front and back. During 1963 the engine size increased to 1500cc and also the sliding side door became available as an option. In 1967 the electrical system changed to 12 volts before the new type (bay window) was introduced.
Beautifully finished in cream white over blue with matching interior, this Mexico built T1 was sold on 31st August 1963 by Mexican VW dealer, Volkswagen de Occidente. Later in its life it formed part of an important collection and was partially restored and finally re-imported to Germany, where it has been customs cleared. A copy of the original invoice of sale and documentation of import is available in the cars file. Presented today in excellent condition, this sought after stylish transporter of the 1960’s is very much in fashion and a most practical and historic automobile; and as such not to be missed.