Right Hand Drive
After world war ll Alfa Romeo were able to return to manufacturing Italian automobiles, however a new model was not launched until 1950. The new design being the 1900, a twin overhead cam 1859cc 4-cylinder saloon. However, it was the second model produced that proved significant, the guilietta of 1954, a 2+2 by bertone. The vehicle was powered by a light alloy 1290cc dohc four cylinder. Named “sprint” it was fittingly capable of high speeds for its engine size reaching 102mph. Design by Orazio Satta Puliga, an engineer who had joined Alfa in 1938 and succeeded Wilfredo Ricart as head of design in 1946.
The Berlina model hit the production line in 1955, and soon afterwards a Spider convertible by Pininfarina was available. In 1957, two limited-production models were added, the Sprint Speciale by Bertone, and the Sprint Zagato by that Milanese coachbuilder.
In 1962 alfa Romeo introduced the Giulietta’s successor, the Guilia a Sprint GT coupe version which followed in 1963, with engines available in many different specifications. The suspension had been tweaked and disc brakes were added all around.
Just 1,000 GTCs were built from 1964 to 1966, most of them left-hand drive models. This particular example presented in white with a grey interior is a rare right-hand drive example of which just 99 where ever built for the right hand drive market. Recently being recommissioned including a full respray of the body the car is said to be in good all-round condition. Supplied with an old style V5C registration document and a period buff log book, this is surely the one of the only opportunities to acquire such a rare example finished in easily the most desirable colour combination.
|Auction||Blenheim Palace July 2017|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.