The Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ (also known as the Alfa Romeo TZ or Tubolare Zagato) was a sports car and racing car manufactured by Alfa Romeo from 1963 to 1967.
The original TZ, is sometimes referred to as TZ1 which differs from the later TZ2 and was developed together with Autodelta, a company led by Ex-Ferrari engineer Carlo Chiti. It featured a 1,570 cc twin cam engine and other mechanical components shared with the Alfa Romeo Giulia which carried a 105 series chassis number but was a purpose built sports racing car, with a tubular spaceframe chassis, light all-aluminium bodywork, disc brakes and independent suspension. The TZ was built both for street and racing trim, with the latest racing versions producing up to 160 brake horsepower.
Aiding the TZ in its quest for performance was the treatment of the rear bodywork. Incorporating the research of Dr. Wunibald Kamm, the TZ used a style called “coda tronca” in Italian, meaning “short tail.”, otherwise known as the Kamm tail. The principle is, that unless you are willing to incorporate an aircraft-like extended tail (not practical for an automobile), there is surprisingly little, if any, increase in drag and a marked decrease in lift or even some downforce by simply chopping off a portion of the tail.
The example we have here is from the collection of the “Museum of Communication” in Cormano near Milan, we understand it was built in the early 1980s with components derived from a 1965 Giulia SS. This TZ Tribute has a tubular chassis, aluminium body and fibreglass hood. It is powered by a 1600 cc Giulia derivation with a 5 speed gearbox .
This car comes with Italian registration documents of the 1965 Giulia 1600 SS from which it is derived.
|Auction||Blenheim Palace July 2016|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||EU Taxes Paid|
|Chassis Number||AR 380839|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.