The Flaminia Coupé was introduced at the Turin Motor show in 1958, nearly two years after the saloon. The styling was based on the Aurelia Florida designed by Battista Pininfarina and considered by many to be his most influential design, it was also his personal favourite and he drove one for the rest of his life. Flaminias initially had a single ‘carburettored’ much modified version of the Aurelia all alloy V6, initially with drum brakes but disc brakes replaced the drums early on. Triple carburettors replaced the single in 1962 and the Flaminia became the Flaminia 3B, the power went from 119 to 130bhp, in 1963 the engine was enlarged to 2.8 and the power was raised to 136bhp. The suspension consists of unequal length double wishbones with coil springs at the front and a De Dion axle at the rear, based on the all-conquering D50, this combined with 50/50 weight distribution due to having the engine at the front and gearbox and differential (transaxle) at the rear, made for excellent handling with light and direct steering.
This lovely 2.8 litre example was first delivered to Milan, remaining there with just 2 owners until 2015. The Flaminia is a matching numbers cars, with a lightly patinated original interior and nicely refinished in its original shade of “Bianco Saratoga” the Flaminia displays a wonderful mellowed patina. Well maintained and both running and driving well, this is a supremely stylish coupe of the 1960s.