Design of a replacement for the two-door Pontons began in 1957; as most of the chassis and drivetrain were to be unified with the sedan, the scope was focused on the exterior styling. Some of the mockups and prototypes show that Mercedes-Benz attempted to give the two-door car a front styling almost identical to what would be realised in the Pagoda roadster, but ultimately favoured the work of engineer Paul Bracq. The rear bodywork however, persisted, and thus though officially still called a fintail, the rear end design had no chrome fin highlights. Production began in late 1960, and in February of the next year the coupe was premiered in Stuttgart for the 75th anniversary of the opening of Mercedes-Benz Museum. Unlike the previous generation of two-door ponton series, there was only one model for the two-door vehicle, the 220SE on both versions, with the identical M127 2,195cc engine. Options included a sliding sunroof for the coupe, automatic transmission, power steering, and individual rear seats.
Having in recent years been subject to an engine rebuild, this rare Matching Numbers Right-Hand drive 220SE is offered with an extensive history file containing a vast collection of invoices, MoT’s and main dealer service history, some of which dating back to 1965. Also included in this file is the cars original sales invoice confirming that the car not only retains its original matching-numbers engine but also its original colour combination!
Sold new through Normand in Mayfair in January 1965, the car is still finished in its head-turning colour combination of Metallic Beige over black and beige leather interior, and quite remarkably this lovely example has had only two previous custodians from new.
Benefitting from automatic transmission, these lovely cruisers are truly fantastic cars to drive and rarely does such a fine specification example come on the market.