Introduced in 1948, the Porsche Type 356 is acknowledged to be one of the worldâs greatest sports cars. Over a 15-year production run, the handsome and durable 356 evolved from a streamlined little aluminium-bodied coupe powered by a VW-derived, 46bhp 1,100cc air-cooled flat four to a powerful autobahn burner with a 130bhp 2-litre 4-cam boxer Carrera engine. Over time came coupes, luxurious cabriolets and more spartan Speedsters and Roadsters, and more than 76,000 were built by the time production ceased in 1965.
By the time the 356B arrived in September 1959, Porscheâs first sports car had gained a one-piece rounded windscreen and 15-inch wheels, along with further styling revisions and a 1,600cc engine. Outwardly very similar to the final 356B, the ultimate 356C model arrived in 1963 sporting disc brakes all round (first seen on the 2-litre Carrera 2), a new ZF steering gear and a compensating spring at the rear to calm the swing axle rear suspension. Engines options were the 75bhp âCâ and the 95bhp âSCâ, both 1,600cc, the latter replacing the Super 90 model.
Finished in the original paint colour of Signal red with black leatherette and rare factory headrest, this delightful example was delivered new in 1965 and has recently enjoyed a thorough ground-up restoration that has taken numerous years, and is supported by detailed documentation recording most of the work that has been undertaken. Also included in the cars history file is a Porsche COA confirming itâs a fully matching numbers car.