First released in September 1958 and badged as the ‘3-litre’ the P5 was powered by a 2,995 cubic centimetres engine. This straight-6 IOE engine used an overhead intake valve and side exhaust valve, an unusual arrangement inherited from the Rover P4. In this form the claimed output was 115bhp. The Mark III P5 was presented at the London Motor Show in October 1965, described at the time as ‘even more luxuriously trimmed and furnished’. It was again available in two 4-door body styles, coupé and saloon. The Mark III used the same engine as its predecessor, but it now produced 134bhp. Externally it could be distinguished by the full-length trim strip along the body and Mark III badging; internally it replaced the rear bench seat with two individually moulded rear seats, making it more comfortable to ride in for four occupants.
This extraordinary P5 was purchased new by the current vendor’s father-in-law in 1966 and was rarely driven before being garaged. In 1998 it was passed to the vendor who also used the car very sparingly; as such we are told that the recorded mileage of under 10,000 miles is accurate. An incredibly rare find this car comes with the original buff log book, owners manuals and some old MOT’s.