The Moto Guzzi Falcone was built from 1950 as a replacement for the the GTW model first produced in 1934. It was the last of the classic Guzzi singles being powered by a horizontal single cylinder four-stroke 500cc pushrod engine featuring the ‘classic’ Mandello del Lario bore and stroke measurements of 88x82mm – a motor that dated back to 1921.
By the mid-1950s the Falcone’s popularity was waning, partly due to the popularity of the rival Gilera Saturno, and so in 1957 the Falcone received improved trim and an electric start. While the twin-cradle frame with telescopic forks remained, the rear swinging arm was now bolted to twin coil-over-damper suspension units in place of the earlier, under-engine friction dampers.
However, demand from the Italian traffic police (who used the Falcone up until the 1970s) was enough to keep it in production until 1967 when the all-new V7 model was introduced. The Militaire version was born in the late 1960s following a request from the Italian army for a machine which was less expensive and easier to manage than the new V7.
This Moto Guzzi 500 Falcone Military was in service with the Italian Army until 1993 when it was purchased by a Mr. Cavenaghi of Milan. It remained in his collection until three years ago when he sold the bike to the current owner. It is in unrestored, original condition and comes with the copy of the declaration from the “Transports and Materials Service Italian Office” which in 1993 declared that Cavenaghi bought the bike from the Italian Army administration.
|Auction||MCN London Motorcycle Show February 2017|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||EU Taxes Paid|
|Model||500 Falcone Militare|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.