To BMW, the “ Series 2 “ was rather like the Giulia was to Alfa Romeo or the 250 GT to Ferrari. Launched in 1955, it went on to guarantee the manufacturer’s success until the end of the 1960s. It became the machine of choice for the police, couriers and the press, as well as enthusiasts who wanted to have a bike they could use all the time without fear of an electrical fault, which could be a weakness on English machines…
From the R 50 and R 69 of 1955 through to the last R 69S in 1969, all the machines in the series featured a frame with Earles fork and swinging arm rear suspension, and a flat twin cylinder engine with overhead valves. First presented in 1956, the R 60 had a 600cc touring engine. When the R 60/2 appeared four years later it had gained 2 bhp and other improvements which ensured its popularity: in eight years it sold more than 17,000 examples – an impressive figure for what was considered to be a big, powerful bike.
Weighing less than 200 kg, the engine’s 30 bhp propelled the bike to 150 km/h and allowed a cruising speed of more than 100 km/h.The R 60/2 in the sale was bought by the current owner in 1992.
Fitted with a Vatier silencer, it is in original condition and has been ridden very little. It has a Steib LS 200 sidecar attached, which is an ultralight model with a classic design that complements the appearance of the whole perfectly. It was designed for low-powered bikes, so is very easy to manuvre with the power of the R60.
It is equipped with bumpers and the side-car has been restored with superb black upholstery and a removable wind deflector. This machine doesn’t just look good – it is capable of providing short trips or longer journeys in total comfort and tranquility.