Designed by Alex Issigonis in 1959, a new concept in car design was born. With a monocoque shell, transversely mounted engine and front wheel drive, the new ‘Mini’, soon became popular across a broad spectrum of the population. The potential for competition use was soon seen by John Cooper; BMC were finally persuaded by John Cooper and the two worked together in culminating the birth of the Austin Mini Cooper and the Morris Mini Cooper in 1961.
Victories in the 1964, 1965 and 1967 Monte-Carlo Rallies set the Mini on the road to fame but probably the greatest publicity was gained from their somewhat unfair, disqualification for lighting irregularities in the 1966 event after coming in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. A more powerful Mini Cooper, dubbed the ‘S’, was developed in tandem and released in 1963. Approximately 2,500 Mk.II Cooper S were built making it one of the rarest versions of this very collectible motor car.
This beautiful example of one of the last Mark II Cooper S models produced, is an original UK car as confirmed by its heritage certificate.
Restored in 2009 with a high attention to detail, the car has travelled a mere 4,000 miles since and remains in very good condition throughout. It has been finished beautifully in green as per the specification for the Cooper Racing Team cars.
Privately owned, the car was restored by its keeper as a labour of love and having cost in excess of £35,000 to complete, it was never intended to be sold. For personal reasons the car is now offered through our auction as a reluctant sale.