Giovanni Moretti built the first Moretti motorcycles, light cars and vans in the late 1920s. In 1945 Fabbrica Automobili Moretti SpA was established in Turin as a motor manufacturer, its first product being La Citta (The Town) a small two-seater ‘city car’ powered by a 500cc twin-cylinder engine. Moretti was unusual at this time in making its own power units rather than relying, like most of its Italian contemporaries, on Fiat engines. A range of small-capacity ‘fours’ of 600cc and 750cc were developed; some with single overhead camshafts, others with twin-cam ‘heads. For a small manufacturer, Moretti offered a bewilderingly diverse range of models including coupés, estate cars, commercials and some electrically powered vehicles.
Being Italian, Moretti could not avoid involvement with motor sport, taking part in long-distance rallies and entering the Le Mans 24-Hour race with an attractive small sports prototype. In addition the company built the occasional monoposto racer and later a Formula Junior car. By the early 1960s it had become apparent that manufacturing was no longer sustainable and the firm turned exclusively to specialist coachbuilding, reorganising itself as Moretti Fabbrica Automobili e Stabilimenti Carrozzeria SAS. A range of attractive sports coupés and cabriolets was offered on Fiat chassis, including an 850 that looked remarkably like a miniature Ferrari Dino. In the 1980s Moretti introduced several small 4x4s based on the Fiat 126, 127 and Panda platforms.
This rare Fiat 500 Moretti Mare was recently subject to a restoration and is finished in a light blue colour with red seats. It is offered with its Italian registration papers and the car is described by the vendor as being in good a condition.
The perfect little car to enjoy on fun days out along the Cote d’Azur!