Founded in the late 1930s to manufacture aircraft, Svenska Aeroplan AB (SAAB) diversified into automobile manufacture at the end of WW2, announcing its first car, the ’92’, in June 1947. As far as its mechanical underpinnings were concerned, the SAAB 92 bore a distinct resemblance to the pre-war DKW, being a front-wheel-drive design powered by a transversely mounted twin-cylinder two-stroke engine. Its streamlined body, though, clearly showed SAAB’s aeronautical background, the 92’s astounding Cd of only 0.32 making it the world’s most aerodynamically efficient production car; further evidence of advanced thinking could be found in the all-independent torsion bar suspension, rack-and-pinion steering and Lockheed hydraulic brakes. So successful was the design that, progressively developed, it lasted in production until the end of the 1970’s, latterly as the ’96’ with Ford-Germany 1.5-litre V4 engine.
This delightful Saab 96 V4 has had just three former keepers. In 2012 the current vendor undertook an extensive restoration of the vehicle. Stripped to bare metal and resprayed in its elegant dark green livery, the braking system was overhauled, a complete new exhaust system fitted, clutch reconditioned and the brightwork re-chromed. The history file also contains hand written notes from one very fastidious owner. A rare sight on the roads today and a car that would be sure to gain a lot of attention.