Having started motorcycle production in late 1945 with a 98cc two-stroke, Count Agusta’s Meccanica Verghera (MV) introduced its first production four-stroke road bikes, a pair of 175 singles, at the 1952 Milan Show. New 125 and 175 models followed in the late 1950s, while a 4-stroke 250 twin, the 250 Raid, became the 250 B in 1968.
The sporty 125 GTL was produced from 1966 to 1971, and powered by a 9.4bhp OHV single it was good for 65mph. In 1969 MV revealed a still sportier version of the GTL called the GTLS. The new GTLS made a claimed 17.4bhp which could take it to a heady 75mph. The GTLS also had a much more contemporary look, with a sleeker tank, a more pronounced seat hump, modern Ceriani-type forks, rear-set footpegs and a generally racier appearance. It was a young man’s dream in the early 1970s, but at 330,000 lire the GTLS was too expensive for many and production ended in 1973 after just 1,023 had been built.
The MV Agusta 125 GTLS on sale here is still in tidy original condition. We’re informed it runs well and it’s a very fast bike. A dream that could brought to life today!