Founded in the late 1930s to manufacture aircraft, Svenska Aeroplan AB (SAAB) diversified into automobile manufacture at the end of WW2, announcing its first car, the ’92’, in June 1947. As far as its mechanical underpinnings were concerned, the SAAB 92 bore a distinct resemblance to the pre-war DKW, being a front-wheel-drive design powered by a transversely mounted twin-cylinder two-stroke engine. Its streamlined body, though, clearly showed SAAB’s aeronautical background, the 92’s astounding Cd of only 0.32 making it the world’s most aerodynamically efficient production car; further evidence of advanced thinking could be found in the all-independent torsion bar suspension, rack-and-pinion steering and Lockheed hydraulic brakes. So successful was the design that, progressively developed, it lasted in production until the end of the 1970s, latterly as the ’96’ with Ford-Germany 1.5-litre V4 engine.
This wonderfully restored 1974 Saab 96 V4 benefits from a recent restoration, including, amongst other improvements, new floor, cills, new suspension, brakes, re-chromed bumpers, and new windscreen, tyres and headlights. Both the body, chassis and paint are in excellent order. Mechanically, the engine and transmission are also in fine fettle, with the recorded mileage showing 58,900 miles.
Renowned as a rugged, torquey engine, the little 96 V4 gained a reputation for reliability, longevity and performance. Saab 96 V4’s won the RAC rally is both 1968 and 1971. Rarely offered in such condition, this is truly a collector’s car.
For further information or to arrange a viewing, please contact our sales department.
|Auction||Blenheim Palace July 2015|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||WDY 597M|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.