Just as it had done 21 years previously with the revolutionary Traction Avant, Citroën stunned the world again at the 1955 Paris Salon with the launch of the futuristically styled DS. Beneath the shark-like newcomer’s aerodynamically efficient, low-drag bodyshell, there was an all-independent, self-levelling, hydro-pneumatic suspension, plus power-operated brakes, clutch and steering. No European car would match the ride quality of the DS for several years, and the fundamental soundness of Citroën’s ahead-of-its-time hydro-pneumatic suspension was demonstrated by its survival in various models for more than four decades.
The DS’ original 1,911 cc overhead-valve, long-stroke engine was replaced in 1966 by a short-stroke 1,985 cc unit, also available in 2,175 cc and 2,347 cc versions, while other DS developments included swivelling headlights, fuel injection and a five-speed manual gearbox.
Originally delivered to Germany when new, this wonderful Pallas remained with its first owner from 1975-1984. It changed hands to its second owner in 1984 who kept the car until 2009. Its third and current owner restored the car to an extremely high standard in 2009 and the car has covered just a few hundred kilometres since. This must be the lowest ownership, best restored Pallas on the market today.