The Fiat Campagnola is a heavy-duty off-road vehicle produced by Fiat. Production started in 1951 and it was upgraded in 1974. It was inspired by the Willys Jeep. Since 1975 it has been delivered to every Italian armed service in many versions with standard or long wheelbase and canvas or hard top. The Campagnola was redesigned for launch in June 1974 and in this form produced until 1987. The new vehicle used the petrol engine of the Fiat 132, but with a longer stroke which increased the capacity to 1,995cc. The same enlarged engine turned up in the Fiat 132 itself two years later, albeit with twin overhead camshafts. The large square engine compartment gave easy access to the engine bay which was designed to permit “wading” up to 70 cm deep.
The 57 litre fuel tank was positioned well out of range from rocks and flying stones, being under the twin passenger seat beside the driver. MacPherson struts suspended all four wheels, with two struts for each of the rear wheels and a single strut for each of the front wheels. All six struts used were of identical specification and thereby interchangeable. Road testers from the UK commended the smoothness of the ride over rough ground which evidently compared very favourably with that offered by the Land Rover of the time.
Now restored this solid Fiat Campagnola is ready to be enjoyed around by its next custodian. Known to be bulletproof, what a great change from the now-common Land-Rovers, that have all crept out of the woodworks due to hiking prices. Quite obviously very good value for money, and perhaps a good investment opportunity?
Offered at No Reserve on 18th May 2019 at Chiswick House.