From 1972 Jaguar’s 5.3 litre V12 engine was available in the XJ range, and for the Daimler version a name used by the company from 1926 to 1938 was revived. Sir William Lyons had retired from Jaguar in 1972 and the new chairman was FRW (Lofty) England. Lofty England had been a Daimler apprentice from 1927 to 1932 and taken second place in the first ever RAC rally driving a 30/40 hp Daimler Double-Six. So Lofty England decreed that the new V12 Daimler would be known as Double-Six.
A longer-wheelbase alternative was introduced in August 1972, becoming the standard bodyshell when the family was up-graded to Series II specification the following year, while a restyled cabin, courtesy of Pininfarina, distinguished the Series III of 1979.
Capable of wafting its occupants along at three-figure speeds in considerable luxury and almost complete silence, the Double-Six and its Jaguar equivalent remained in production until 1993, becoming the world’s most successful twelve cylinder saloons.
With just three owners from new and showing a touch over 44,000 miles, this wonderful example has been in the current ownership since 1992. With 8 stamps in the service book this car is described to run and drive just as it should.