From the Hitchcock’s Motorcycle Collection
Founded by Harry James in 1880 as a bicycle manufacturer in Birmingham, the first motorcycle, was a Minerva-powered machine produced in 1902.
In 1908 the first machine to be powered by James’s own engine followed, the ‘safety’, for the time this was a radical design, as the wheels sat on stub axles, much like a modern scooter. More orthodox designs followed, with two-stroke, sidevalve, overhead-valve, single-cylinder and twin-cylinder models featuring in the range before the end of the 1920s.
We understand this project to be a James 500cc V twin model from circa 1926. Offered as a project it consists of a frame, forks, engine and gearbox parts and front and rear wheels only. There is no paperwork with this lot.
Sales room Notice
We understand that this bike is of circa 1920 vintage and that the engine of 750cc capacity, engine number BT598, is circa 1924.
|Auction||MCN London Motorcycle Show February 2017|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Model||Model V Twin|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.