Miller-Balsamo was founded in Milan in 1921 by Ernesto and Edgardo Balsamo and initially handled the importation of the Ariel and Excelsior motorcycles. From 1923 the company built its own motorcycles, many of which featured proprietary 250 and 500cc engines supplied by Rudge. Miller-Balsamo also made a variety of its own engines while its lightweight models used Sachs 2-stroke motors. Although it was a leading make in Italy during the 1920s and ‘30s, Miller-Balsamo went on to produce its own OHC 175, 250 and 500cc models but the brand didn’t regain the popularity it had enjoyed in pre-war times and the factory closed in 1959.
The rare example offered here is powered by a single-cylinder 2-stroke engine of Miller-Balsamo’s own design. It is an original, unrestored, and indeed an unused example having been discovered in storage at an old Milan motorcycle dealership about 15 years ago. It has since been owned by two collectors and it is to be sold with a Coys bill of sale.