The need to widen the appeal of the already-successful DB2 resulted in the launch in October 1953 of the 2+2 DB 2/4 “Notchback”. Extensive revisions to the car’s rear end arrangements made room for two occasional seats and more luggage space with easier rear compartment access via the hatchback rear door. In addition, a raised roofline, one-piece windscreen, larger bumpers and other detail styling changes differentiated the newcomer from its predecessor. The W O Bentley-designed 3-litre produces 140bhp engine with the car’s top speed of 118mph (190km/h) with 60mph (97km/h) and reached in around 11 seconds.
While mechanically very little different from its predecessor the DB2/4 Mk II, the car is readily identifiable by its subtly altered lines, the most significant change being a ¾” increase in roof height that afforded greater headroom. Flashing indicators and discreet tail fins made an appearance, as did chromed trim strips running from the front wheel arch tops to the door shuts, below which the bonnet sides were now fixed, thus lightening the bonnet assembly. Interior improvements included better seats and a proper fly-off handbrake.
This car is from a rare range of Aston Martin DB2/4 models and was one of only 34 Fixed Head Coupe or “Notchback” models, and one of only 16 in RHD form.. This particular car is an original RHD model and was delivered new to a French buyer in Paris with a Vantage spec large valve cylinder head and upgraded DBA camshafts. It is one of only 18 FHC cars exported.
Delivered new to Paris via distributor Majestic Motors to a Mr. Jean-Richard Ducros, the DB2/4 was specified from new with the uprated engine featuring the VB6L cylinder head (list number 54353), modified cylinder head rubber blocks (list number 78319) and upgraded Alfin drum brakes.
This rare example later found its way to Germany before being brought into the UK by a previous owner. Our vendor has had this rare, original RHD car for 16 years and has maintained the car in perfect driving condition. The Aston comes with a comprehensive history file – a large amount of work was carried out by Roos Engineering in Switzerland and an Aston Martin specialist in Germany.
The W O Bentley-designed, 3.0litre Vantage, six-cylinder, and twin-cam power unit was supplied new for this Vantage MkII FHC. The car’s top speed was 118mph (190km/h) with 60mph (97km/h) reached in around 11 seconds.
The engine has been fitted with unleaded valve seats, Carillo pistons and conrods and a lightened flywheel and balanced crankshaft. Leading specialist Four Ashes and Sherwood Restorations (both experienced DB2/4 specialists) carried out work on the car including rebuilding the engine in 1999 and refinishing the car in dark blue.
In 2014, the engine was again rebuilt with new piston liners and upgraded seals by Davron. It has covered around 3000 miles since the rebuild. The Aston is fitted with a modern starter and a positive earth alternator and later specification MKIII disc front brakes.
The original dynamo, front Alfin brake drums, new brakes shoes, new brake cylinders, original starter motor, dynamo and other minor spares or original fittings are supplied with the car.
This is a fabulous fast road going car that has proven to be 100% reliable according to the current owner and started on the button when we viewed the car.
The DB 2/4 is offered with four larger folders of history and reference material, a comprehensive documented history, numerous invoices, relevant historical details and a full ownership list since new in 1956, in addition to FIVA and FIA/HTP documentation.